We are looking for a Senior Android Developer who is passionate about pushing mobile technologies to the limits to build mobile applications for the next billion people of India, who have fundamentally different needs – access, language, selection, supply chain, financial, cultural, and the like. This engineer will be a member of our core team of engineers who are building marketplace platforms – mobile only customer & seller apps, brands platform, demand generation platform, supply chain & logistics platform, credit platform, from scratch.
- Extreme engineering skills to develop and maintain light weight applications that would seamlessly run in low end android devices, under poor bandwidth, and prepaid data connections.
- Deep knowledge of Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices, different versions of Android, and how to deal with different screen sizes
- Proven ability (or demonstrated potential) to build localized applications (using 3p localization/transliteration SDKs) targeted towards early and late majority adopters of mobile from tier 2/3 cities.
- Good understanding of web services, JSON, and RESTful APIs for Native apps integration with back-end services that are near real time distributed systems across multiple platforms, owned by different stakeholders.
- Experience with intelligent caching, offline storage, threading, and performance tuning
- Ability to design applications around natural user interfaces, with mobile as an extension of human sensors.
- Knowledge of the open-source Android ecosystem and the libraries available for common tasks.
- Ability to build custom SDKs for driving app performance to build awesome experiences that works for our target demographic under poor bandwidth conditions
- Familiarity with cloud message APIs and push notifications
- Experience in building very low latency real time chat applications
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- An athlete who can run at breakneck speed of a startup, yet someone who can bring method to madness through processes suitable for different stages of the company – early stage prototyping and rapid experimentation, before product/market fit, after product/market fit, and scaling.
- Familiarity with Agile development, Scrums, continuous integration, and test driven development processes
- Data driven product development – strong focus on data backed engineering decisions. Very strong skills on benchmarking and optimization of app performance
- Ability to develop products iteratively based a strong A/B testing framework
- Ability to do collaborative problem solving and design/build chaos resilient systems, and build quality products is essential
- Mentor junior developers, and help build an excellent engineering team
- Be a talent magnet – attract great talent to join the core team.
- BE/BTech (preferably CS) from a top institute (IIT, BITS etc)
- 3-5 years of experience, of which min 2-3yrs of android development experience.
- Have built at least 2-3 native android apps from concept to deployment, iteration, and maintenance
- Experience in building ecommerce apps in which transaction/payments happen
- Experience in building collaboration UX – chat, social networks, sharing
… are strong on CS fundamentals and have great technical skills
… love solving real world problems using technology
… can apply first principles thinking to solve problems
… can envision a great future that you want create
… want to create the future you want to live in
… have the fire in your belly to get out of your cube and do something about your vision and passion
… work with some really smart people, and still raise the bar for all of us
… can have fun and help your colleagues have fun doing all of the above..